About Me

My photo
Inukjuak, Quebec, Canada
Always up for a new adventure. I love Musicals, photography, my family, road trips, and beads. So far I have been fortunate enough to teach in Japan, South Korea, Kenya, and the Canadian Arctic. Currently in my 5th year in the frozen North and up for any new adventure.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Peace in Unpacking

It is amazing how light and happy I feel now having my things around me. I don't have much by way of expensive electronics, or fragile knickknacks, but the few things I had sent to me in the North make such a difference. I had almost resigned myself to another weekend without my luggage, having heard the plane leave and being told by the airport that there was nothing for me, when I heard a knock at my door. As I went to the door all I could think was "I am really not in the mood to say no to another carver tonight" but when I opened the door I was shocked to see a big delivery van at my front steps. I think I was in shock, all I could say was hi with a look of confusion on my face. The delivery guy quickly explained that he had my boxes at last, to which I jumped up and clapped my hands with glee (really I did, he must have thought I was a little nuts). With a huge grin on my face I helped him unload my boxes, not even feeling the rain that was falling on my head. With a final wave goodbye and a shower of thanks on the delivery guy I shut the door and did a little happy dance in my kitchen, giggling like a maniac the whole time. Three weeks with nothing around you that is familiar can bring you into a feeling of semi-depression or at the very least melancholy, a feeling that is quickly dispersed upon seeing familiar handwriting on boxes. After whirling around for a minute or two I fell to opening my riches: pictures of family, a few well loved posters, my kitchen goods, and best of all my fluffy warm blankets and pillows. Winter clothes, school sweaters, bath goods, an orange gorilla :), and my books. It felt like all my favourite holidays rolled into one as I discovered things I had forgotten I sent. The house I rent from the school is a nice house, better than some apartments I have lived in, but until I started unpacking it didn't feel like my home. Now I feel like I am home, I have a place that is mine to recharge and feel comfortable in. Anyone who says that you don't need to feel safe and comfortable from time to time hasn't felt as if they were living in just a house, not a home. I am happy to say I am starting to feel at home in the north:)

No comments:

Post a Comment