About Me

My photo
Inukjuak, Quebec, Canada
Always up for a new adventure. I love Musicals, photography, my family, road trips, and beads. So far I have been fortunate enough to teach in Japan, South Korea, Kenya, and the Canadian Arctic. Currently in my 5th year in the frozen North and up for any new adventure.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Be Aggressive or Freeway Driving 101

Ok as I may have said before, we like to stop at tourist/info booths when we enter any new states. The guides there usually have great advice and a extremely helpful (usually). The one in SD had awesome cowboy sighting and fireworks advice. The tourist info guide at the Nevada state line was a gem with his advice for driving into Las Vegas, he knew what exits we would want and which parts of town to stay out of, as well as being full of tips for just enjoying Vegas. His final words of advice were in regards to the ring road or spaghetti loops that are the way into Vegas. He told us to know what exit we needed, that gps would probably not be of much help as it doesn't always give enough warning, but he really stressed the drivers around Vegas. He repeatedly told us how aggressive the drivers there are, telling us to go for it and be aggressive ourselves or we might never get in. His advice was sound and I have also found it to be applicable to most if not all the freeway driving that we have been doing. So for freeway driving 101 I definitely recommend that you really know what exit you need, not 'I think it is 60B, maybe'. Have a navigator beside you who can read a map or act as a gps for you (thanks KJ). Have confidence in your driving ability or be a little more aggressive than you would normally be. If you are Canadian, make sure you know the difference between kms and miles. And keep and eye on the speedometer and the rearview mirror for anyone who might be coming up on you (ie hwy patrol).

I think my driving has been affected some by having driven on such a wide array of freeways/hwys. 400 and QEW down in TO, Chicago (ie Seven Circles if Hell), Las Vegas, the LA freeways, and many a tourist filled mountain road between them. I have definitely become more, a fan of u-turns where permitted, my right foot seems to have gotten a little heavier as well, and I can sing along to the radio with the champs. So far a great trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment