About Me

My photo
Inukjuak, Quebec, Canada
Always up for a new adventure. I love Musicals, photography, my family, road trips, and beads. So far I have been fortunate enough to teach in Japan, South Korea, Kenya, and the Canadian Arctic. Currently in my 5th year in the frozen North and up for any new adventure.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Test drive

Ok, the need to do a pre-road trip may be seen as a bit anal retentive for some but here was my logic: while I am very comfortable with highway driving, even prefer it in most cases, my sisters are all fairly new drivers and though they have done some hwy driving with their instructor they haven't had mush experience. So I decided that we needed to do a bit of a trial run just for my peace of mind and to give them a bit of confidence as well. Decided that driving from Sudbury to Sault Ste. Marie would give them a good taste of what hwy driving is really like; what the wind feels like when you are driving in the wake of a semi-trailer, high speed lane changes and passing, dealing with road construction and small town slow down. Result: I am so glad we did it, they feel so much more confident. And as for me, a few white hairs and stressed muscles later, I feel more comfortable too. The road to the Sault is fairly winding at some point, merging from divided to double lane, but the girls handled it with growing skill. Sometimes as a seasoned driver you forget how strange, difficult, and nerve wracking it is as a new hwy driver to maintain speed and get a feel for the road. I know that mom and dad are feeling a bit better with the idea of their babies driving all over the USA highways, though they will still worry about us (and we would expect nothing else). So the plan is set for me to drive the 400 series down in TO but once we hit the wide open stretches in the USA the girls are taking over. Count down is t-minus 10 days till departure. So excited :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you ARE brave, taking you young sisters on that kind of trip. Remember the sugar, it's the only way to stay awake! :D

    ReplyDelete